There are people with whom we want to have meaningful conversations. There are people who you look forward to talking to, or who you feel quickly connected to when you first meet them. What do they do?
1. They engage quickly with you. They seem confident in themselves and interested in you. They attempt to connect with something they think will be interesting to you. They might ask about what you are doing, or a shared experience. They invite you to engage as well.
2. Their positive energy is contagious. This can be either a calm, caring energy, or a highly engaged energy. Typically they have a warm smile. They are not complaining or frowning.
3. They are interested in you. They may ask questions or make observations. Watch someone walking a lovable dog and see how many people engage.
4. Their passion for specific things and people makes them three dimensional. We feel we know people better if we know what they are passionate about. The sooner we know, the faster we can connect.
5. They are honest about who they are. None of us are perfect. It is easier to be around people who do not pretend, and yet are accepting of their own shortcomings. It is easier to believe they will accept our shortcomings if we share them, or demonstrate them when we interact.
6. They have a giving spirit. Some people are very good at sharing what they have. They help us remember that we are all on this planet together, and that caring builds community.
All of these attributes are a choice. We can choose to be engaged so that others will think of us when they read these attributes.