If you are losing steam from your busy schedule, remember the proven fact that regular breaks can improve your productivity. [INC.com BLOG] provides several examples. Here are few tips to help you gain perspective, productivity, and control of your life:
- Make a personal phone call or write a note to an old friend to gain perspective.
- Do 5 to 15 minutes focused on your breathing [how to] to recharge your creativity.
- Take a brisk walk to stimulate your energy and improve your life expectancy.
- Go outside to take a “smoke break” (without the cigarette is preferable) in the sunshine.
- Enjoy a brain-boosting snack like nuts, blueberries, or dark chocolate (the darker the better).
- If you can manage it, a 20 minute cat nap can seriously boost your productivity.
If you are working at home a nap is easier to accomplish, although some enlightened bosses do encourage naps. Set the alarm on your phone. Naps do refresh.
If you spend much of your time sitting at a desk or in an airplane, a bonus is that getting up and moving around at least hourly reduces the chance of a heart attack or stroke.
Over a century ago, early management studies found that people produced more if they took a break every hour. For some reason we still don’t believe it or think it doesn’t apply to us. Take a break and think about it!